Monday, July 10, 2006

Tour de France

I wanted to film the cyclists since they were passing so close to my house. As I was walking to the nearest village along the 'route' I called 'bon appetite' to all the groups who had set up tables and chairs by the roadside and in fields to eat lunch. In Brittany you have to 'dejeuner' at 12 noon it's the law. I said hello to people I knew with the usual doubts as to how many kisses, anything from one to six and sometimes just a handshake but always involving touch of some kind. I am convinced that is the reason that Bretons live so long combined with the outdoor life and tradition of growing thier own veg and meat. I was carried along the two mile walk by the festive atmosphere of the crowds lining the route. On reaching the village I bought a' sausisson galette' from one of the many stalls. (I am mostly vegetarian but feel like a traiter if I don't join in the local traditions.) I found a spot by the church wall to steady my camera and waited. I had missed the freebies which are thrown from the cavalcade of vans and cars to keep the crowds happy whilst waiting for the cyclists. Like French trains they arrived spot on time. The crowds cheered like mad for all of five minutes as they sped past at 60 miles an hour then as one they turned to thier cars and went their way. After a cup of coffe in the bar I walked back along a changed route. Just yards beyond the village sign I was alone in the countryside. No cars no people just fields, trees, birds and cows. I have the best of both worlds. Complete solitude and tranquillity or I can choose to join in the frequent low key community events.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home