Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Factory Farming

I should mention that many of my neighbours are farmers. Some good some bad and some I wouldn't describe as farmers at all really just manufacturers of meat. Being a political vegetarian here is difficult. I am surrounded by avid meat eaters. I have no objection to eating lamb, pork, chicken and turkey if it is produced in a humane manner but not only is factory farming cruel to animals it is also cruel to humans. When I see these items on the menu in restaurants the memory of the young women I have met with deformed hands who have worked in the meat preparation factories. Also the young mothers I sat next in French class who couldn't stay awake because they had been working since 4 AM packing same meat.
I choose not to eat beef until the third world is allowed to grow crops which they can eat instead of growing crops to feed our beef. Coffee and tea is also a problem. I wonder how many Brazilians, Indians and Africans own plantations? And don't even mention gold. Who works in the gold mines for peanuts and who wears the gold?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home